Improve your understanding of machine learning. Explore advanced techniques and how to use them in your data science projects.
Join free and you will get:
- Access to this course for 6 weeks
Discover and apply advanced statistical machine learning techniques
This online course explores advanced statistical machine learning.
You will discover where machine learning techniques are used in the data science project workflow. You will then look in detail at supervised learning statistical modelling algorithms for classification and regression problems, examining how these algorithms are related, and how models generated by them can be tuned and evaluated.
You will also look at feature engineering and how to analyse the sufficiency of data.
What topics will you cover?
Statistical Machine Learning Theory
Analysis and Evaluation of Statistical Models
Analysis of Data
Supervised Learning – Artificial Neural Networks
Supervised Learning – Kernel Methods
Unsupervised Learning – Clustering
Unsupervised Learning – Topic Modeling
Basic Reinforcement Learning
Basic Semi-Supervised Learning
When would you like to start?
Most FutureLearn courses run multiple times. Every run of a course has a set start date but you can join it and work through it after it starts. Find out more
What will you achieve?
By the end of the course, you’ll be able to…
- Explain the steps of a typical data science problem, and perform those steps identified as falling under the responsibility of a machine learning specialist.
- Perform a range of pre-processing steps, including feature engineering and management of missing data, as well as explain the utility and importance of such methods.
- Apply a range of advanced machine learning techniques from all major areas of machine learning (supervised, unsupervised, semi-supervised and reinforcement learning) including tuning and regularizing these models.
- Explain how these techniques work, including the relationship between more advanced methods and the simpler methods they are built upon.
- Evaluate rigorously the performance of statistical models, and justify the selection of particular models for use.
- Evaluate rigorously the sufficiency of and suitability of data for a given modelling task
Who is the course for?
This is an advanced course and some experience with machine learning, data science or statistical modelling is expected. Links will be provided to basic resources about assumed knowledge.
Sections of the course make use of advanced mathematics, including statistics, linear algebra, calculus and information theory. If you have prior knowledge of these areas, particularly the first two, you will obtain additional insights into the methods used. If you do not have this prior knowledge, you will still be able to achieve the learning outcomes of the course.
What software or tools do you need?
The course uses R. If you have not programmed with R before, you should consider taking a quick introductory course, such as Try R.